Welcome to LEAP, where we sit down with people from all over the world to hear their transformational stories and perspectives on their grief and loss journeys.
In this episode, we are joined by Jen Simonic and Masey Kaplan, the co-founders of Loose Ends. We dive deep into the story behind their project and how it all started. They share with us their vision for Loose Ends and how they match volunteers with projects.
We learn about the types of projects that they complete and how they manage costs since their organization is entirely volunteer-based (be sure to check out their ‘Go Fund Me’ page in the links below). Jen and Masey also share with us the ways in which their organization has grown over the years and how they envision it growing in the future.
Jen has been knitting since she was 6. Her grandmother taught her on steel needles from WWII bandage making. The first piece she finished for someone else was a sweater that a friend’s mom was making for her dad.
Masey is a graphic designer, marketing professional for nonprofits, entrepreneur, mom, and knitter.
Throughout the conversation, we hear what hope means to Jen and Masey, and how their work with Loose Ends has given them a sense of purpose and fulfillment. Tune in to this inspiring conversation to learn more about their journey and how they are making a difference in their community.
**TRIGGER WARNING** This episode covers sensitive subject matter and is not suitable for all listeners. If this topic could be a trigger for you, listen to this episode with a friend, a sibling, a loved one or a parent so you can talk about any emotions that come up for you. The contents of this episode are not intended to replace therapy and should not be taken as such. If you need immediate help, please call the crisis hotline listed below in our resources.
Listen in as we talk about:
- [0:55] Who Jen and Masey are and how their project started
- [2:55] What is ‘Loose Ends’
- [8:10] How they match volunteers and projects
- [12:45] How they manage costs since it’s volunteer-based
- [16:40] How volunteers are chosen
- [19:00] The ways in which their organization has grown
- [29:00] The types of projects they finish
- [31:45] Jen and Masey’s grand vision for Loose Ends
- [34:10] Finding support within their community
- [38:15] How I envisioned Loose Ends growing
- [44:40] Resources for those who want to donate
- [46:10] How this project has impacted both of their lives
- [50:00] Hope is…
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Rock On: Mining for Joy in the Deep River of Sibling Grief by Susan E. Casey
- GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-loose-ends-connections?utm_campaign=p_lico+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link&utm_source=customer
Connect with Jen and Masey here:
- Jen’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sanguineinseattle/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thelooseendsproject
- Jen’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jensimonic/
- Masey’s LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/masey-kaplan-289563203/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/looseendsproject
Connect with Susan